If yourÂ carÂ was powered by thorium, you would never need to refuel it. The vehicle would burn out long before the chemical did. The thorium would last so long, in fact, it would probably outlive you.
Thatâ€™s why a company called Laser Power Systems has created a concept for a thorium-powered car engine. The element is radioactive, and the team uses bits of it to build a laserbeam that heats water, produces steam, and powers an energy-producing turbine.
Thorium is one of the most dense materials on the planet. A small sample of it packs 20 million times more energy than a similarly-sized sample of coal, making it an ideal energy source.
The thing is, Dr. Charles Stevens, the CEO ofÂ Laser Power Systems, toldÂ MashableÂ that thorium engines wonâ€™t be in cars anytime soon.
â€œCars are not our primary interest,â€ Stevens said.Â â€The automakers donâ€™t want to buy them.â€
He said too much of the automobile industry is focused on making money off of gas engines, and it will take at least a couple decades for thorium technology to be used enough in other industries that vehicle manufacturers will begin to consider revamping the way they think about engines. We’re building this to power the rest of the world,â€ Stevens said. He believes a thorium turbine about the size of an air conditioning unit could more provide cheap power for whole restaurants, hotels, office buildings, even small towns in areas of the world without electricity. At some point, thorium could power individual homes.
Stevens understands that people may be wary of Thorium because it is radioactive â€” but any such worry would be unfounded.
â€œThe radiation that we develop off of one of these things can be shielded by a single sheet off of aluminum foil,â€ Stevens said.Â â€You will get more radiation from one of those dental X-rays than this.â€
Electric cars are about to be made to look like donkeys. Hydrogen cars are about to be made to feel about as advanced as a herd of goats. Forget what you know, because cars that can run for 100 years without refuelling could be just around the corner.
Thereâ€™s a new propulsion technology on the horizon that uses an incredibly dense element called thorium. Itâ€™s so dense that even the smallest grain of it has the potential to create more heat than a dozen clones of Eva Mendes.
And okay, we’re well aware that nobody apart from Rolls-Royce and maybe Bentley could make a car that could last for 100 years, but it’s a nice round number and it’s what’s on the table.
An American company called Laser Power Systems is working on using thorium to generate enough energy to create a laser, which heats water and creates steam that can ultimately provide motion. Just eight grams of thorium is enough to power a car for a century, and while itâ€™s in the early stages itâ€™s genuinely viable.
The current prototype â€˜engineâ€™ is said to weigh about 225kg, making it comparable with internal combustion motors. The real eye-opener is that one gram of thorium is said to contain more energy than 28,000 litres of unleaded.
Thatâ€™s the equivalent of 509 full fill-ups of a 55-litre petrol tank, and when the average European Joe will only fill his tank about 50 times over three years, that makes thorium a huge deal. With low mileage a thorium car could run for 10 decades.
Whatâ€™s more, thereâ€™s much less environmental risk than with nuclear power. At worst thorium power produces 10 times less long-lived radiation than typical nuclear fission. At best, weâ€™re talking 10,000 times less. Bit of a no-brainer, really, especially if the government ends up deciding to bury it at the bottom of your garden.
ABOLISH THE ACT OF 1871
- The District of Columbia ACT of 1871 Copy this below and share it with EVERYONE you know! 9,597 views
- NEW STORY 4/14/2014 Animals Leaving Yellowstone? 4.7M & 4.9M (5.0M) Earthquake strikes the Western Yellowstone posted on April 6, 2014
- 3/30/2014 Yellowstone Magma Chamber Animals Leaving Yellowstone? What Do They Know We Donâ€™t Know? 41,022 views
- UPDATE 4/3/14 Yellowstone Magma Chamber Animals Leaving Yellowstone? What Do They Know We Donâ€™t Know? 11,231 views
The Bundy Ranch Affair read more:
- The Bundy Ranch Affair Is the Tip of the Iceberg To Whatâ€™s Coming Hell Has No Fury posted on April 14, 2014
- Update Ruby Ridge Reloadeâ€¦ 5,041 views
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bunâ€¦ 1,563 views
- Cliven Bundy to Meet with Clark Co. Sheriff / Breaking Cliven Bundy Cows Are COMING HOME
- This is a must see! Ukraine. Bercut captures American agent, consultant unres posted on February 21, 2014
- FBI Opens Files Proving Adolf Hitler Went To Argentina posted on March 8, 2014
- Drone Operator Killed 1,626 People â€“ Is Haunted & Disgusted By His â€˜Sociopathicâ€™ Actions posted on June 7, 2013
- 9/11 Smoking Gun? WOW REALLY ! ! ! posted on January 18, 2014
- Obama has officially announced plans to trash the Constitution posted on January 16, 2014
- IT IS A DAMN SHAME IT REALLY IS 143 YEARS WWIII posted on March 5, 2014
- WW3 Alert: 7 Ukraine Bases Under Siege In Crimea STOCK UP ON SUPPLIES NOW BEFORE ITâ€™S TOO LATE! posted on March 3, 2014
- IS WW3 HERE ? WOW PEOPLE ARE YOU A WAKE NOW ? posted on March 1, 2014
- DO HIGH-VOLTAGE ELECTRIC POWER TRANSMISSION LINES CA– USE CANCER posted on June 20, 2013
- The kenyan Mall Hoax posted on September 23, 2013